Re: [tlug] unsubscribe

On 22:52 2002/04/21 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote

>     Ryan> Like I said, hidden by default.
>
>True, but so what?  Most modern automobiles do not have the operator's
>manual pasted to the windshield where everyone could find it.  They
>(by default) hide them in the glovebox (in one case, under the
>passenger seat).

Right now, I'm in MS using Eudora, and reading messages in the preview
pane, which doesn't give the unsubscribe information.  Last night, didn't
see it in Mutt either, but that's by design as I have it set to ignore all
headers but date, reply-to and the like.

On the other hand--I belong to some less sophisticated linux groups, mostly
hosted at yahoo, and an MS tech support list (as I do work with it).
All of them have unsubscribe information in the footer, which means that
the information would be seen, even if viewed in a preview pane.

Despite that, and despite the fact that these are mailing lists directed at
people with an interest in computers, there are a large number of
unsubscribe posts sent to the lists---in some cases, perhaps it's a slip of
the finger (especially with the auto-addressing features of many MS
clients) however, there are also those posting how do I unsubscribe, etc etc.

Perhaps it would be better if placed in a footer--on the other hand, the
majority of folks who send unsubscribe posts to a list (by design, as
opposed to an accidental hit of send while not thinking) will miss it anyway.

Scott Robbins