Re:[tlug] CLI admin how-to ideas?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Q" <jq@example.com>

.

> In the absence of such an existing document, perhaps one can be developed
> by TLUGgers, or we can at least talk about what it should be like, and
> maybe some people will get inspired to pick it up and run with it.
>
> If this could potentially become a TLUG project, the first thing we need
> find out is, what do newcomers want/need to know?   Then perhaps we can
put
> together some clear "Here's how you do this, from zero" documents to help
in
> that direction.

I'm on various newbie lists--the frightening thing is that I often am the
one giving answers.

A few command line questions that frequently come up. (What will happen is
it'll run in cycles--we'll get ten questions on a subject in a week, then it
doesn't come up again)

I downloaded a tar.gz (or bz2, or Z, etc) how do I install it.
How do I compile a C or C++ program
Related  I compiled a C program and everything is showing up as a.out
How do I set or chech my IP Address
How do I set up pine
How do I set up mutt
I just installed a program, how do I start it
How do I find my kernel version (and how do I recompile a kernel)
I want to edit my inetd.conf in RH 7.x and can't find it.
I try to do a shutdown (or adduser, etc) and get command not found (they did
an su and don't realize that the path doesn't change)

The address of the faq (those are the command line related questions) is at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.hml but those are the
questions that I'd consider command line ones.

Thanks
Scott Robbins