Re: [tlug] disk configuration: drive mounting

Marlo Rocci (comslave@example.com) wrote:

> I don't know.  My only statement is that I feel the user interface DOES
> matter.

It matters very much, yes.  That's exactly why the experienced members of
the list are so opposed to, as Matt described so well, retrofitted hack
GUI interfaces.

>  It can prevent unneccessary mistakes, and speed implementation,

I've had to help people with far more borkage caused by GUI tools on
Linux than with "oops, typed the wrong thing in that file" borkage.
YMMV, but experience shows that GUI config tools tend to cause unncessary
mistakes and generally slow up the works.

> To me, this is a simple question which should be divorced from  politics.

It is not at all simple, nor should it be divorced from politics.  This is
the politics of best practice.  As others have pointed out, *nix has been
around a long time, and these best practices are that way for a reason.
They work.

> So here's what I've got.  I'm using Redhat 7.0 with a KDE.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, that's the first thing you ought to fix.  RH 7.0 is a bug-ridden
monstrosity, the worst thing since Red Hat 5.0.  Against my better
judgement, I installed it, and wow, was I sorry.  7.1 fixed most of its
problems, and 7.2 is pretty solid.  If you need 7.2 CDs, please contact me
off-list.  I can burn a set for you.

> Webmin (still reading the manual on getting that working), but I'm open to
> exploring other tools.  It's on a crash box, so if it blows up the operating
> system, no harm done.

Since it's Red Hat 7.0, you could regard it as a favor if it blows up the
system :-)

Jonathan