Re: [tlug] disk configuration: drive mounting

Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

>     JG> Chris is right on, as usual.  [...]

Shoulda known that *that* comment would get me flamed! ;)

>     JG> "don't make sense". If they instead took the attitude that
>     JG> Linux / BSD / AtheOS / whatever is a great platform, but a few
>     JG> things could be made easier, and then made suggestions to the
>     JG> developers (in a reasonable tone of voice, of course), there
>     JG> would be less tension.
>
> I'm sure it's _not_ where we want it to go. We'd like to protect linux
> from the attitude of those people (but it may well be only a wishful
> thinking). If they want gui to edit a text file, unix is not their
> system, period. (...is emacs run inside X a gui???)

My point was more along the lines of, it is a bit arrogant and downright
shitty to complain that the OSS/FSF community sucks because they do not
create GUI config tools. I then intended to point out that if you want
something, doing it yourself is always an option, and is sure to cause
less loss of respect than publicly bitching to a LUG/UUG about how
1337-455 Chris Sekiya types 5uX0r because they want everyone to use vi
instead of GUIs. (Note, I am not accusing Mario (tashika ni, it was
Mario who started this thread, was it not?) of this at all. But I have
seen this attitude before, a time too many. Even on *gasp* this list.)

I do not quite agree with your statement, "If they want gui to edit a
text file, unix is not their system, period." Naze ka to imasu to, the
UNIX philosophy translates to GUI quite admirably, IMHO. What I mean by
this is, small, powerful tools with a very specific function that can be
combined to do Damn Near Anything (tm). Now, I will admit that I have
not seen this philosophy actually *implemented* in a GUI very well, but
why couldn't it be?

But, I digress a bit. If there are people who want these GUI-thingys for
system configuration stuff, more power to them as long as they don't
expect *me* to write said thingys. That is more or less what I was
suggesting.

And yes, emacs run inside of X is a GUI! Everyone knows that real men
use vi from an xterm. Or is that a GUI, as well? ;)

-Josh "yes, I use emacs inside of X, but only for the
syntax-highlighting" Glover [1]

[1] Standard reference to Chris Sekiya for the purposes of avoiding
plagiarism accusations.