Re: [tlug] Selective mojibake email

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:41:57AM +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:

> > > The fact is that Microsoft does not properly implement standards that
> > > it doesn't control, nor even its own.
> >
> > Steve, that's unfair. If you said something like "usually does not"
> > or "does not properly implement i18n-related standards," I
> > wouldn't have a problem with it. But then, of course, it wouldn't
> > be provocative, and I know how you love a good argument.
>
> No it was a generalization that is by and large true.

Didn't I acknowledge that it was by and large true?

But that's not what he said. In my dictionary, "does not" is roughly
equal to "never does."

My remark was a little off, though. Since Microsoft is unfair to just
about everyone, I don't see anything wrong with the Linux community
being unfair to them in return. Maybe I should have said "gratuitous."
It didn't add anything of substance to the discussion.

I have to admit I had an evil grin on my face when I wrote my previous
message. I've been following Steve's mailing-list career for some time,
and I know damn well he likes to argue, and is very good at it. I don't
consider that a bad thing -- in fact, I rather envy his prowess, because
I like to argue too.

So, really, my message was kind of in the spirit of "Ha, ha, caught
you making a cheap shot!" Don't get too many chances to do that to
Steve Turnbull. Would it have helped if I'd used smileys? Okay,
smileys:

 :-) :-> :=))

By the way, though I get tired of insubstantive Microsoft-bashing,
I have never known Linux advocates to do anything quite as petty as
this:

  About a year and a half ago, I was at MS headquarters on business.
  In one building they had -- I am not making this up -- toilet
  paper emblazoned with the Sun logo.

P.S. Lest anybody think I'm a spy for Bill Gates, I can't remember the
last time I booted up Windows. It would have been at least 3 or 4
months ago. So there.
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA