[tlug] Selective mojibake email

 I'm not sure if this is a Linux question or a Windows question, so if there
is a better place to post, let me know.
 I recently installed the Mitel Networks SME server (esmith.com), which
looks like basically a seriously hacked version of Red Hat with a 2.2
kernel, on a test machine.  I was interested in the Horde IMP web-based
emailer (horde.org) that it has pre-installed, because it is the best one
that I know of.  The IMP’s login screen has user, password, and a language
popup that includes languages like Magyar and Korean, but no Japanese.
These only seem to affect the menus, though, because when I connected from a
laptop running Japanese Win98SE with IE5.0 and sent email with the subject
line 日本語 and body text日本語 between test accounts, everything displayed
perfectly, even the subject line.  The encoding was Shift-JIS.

When I go to read the same or similar test email with other OSs and
browsers, though, I get mojibake.  日本語 becomes “ú{Œê .  I’ve tried Win 2K-E,
Win2K-J, Mac 9.x, IE 5.5, Netscape 4.7 all with Shift-JIS or any other
encoding option with similar results, although the encoding obviously
changes the style of mojibake.  I can’t see any difference in the headers
among readable and unreadable emails.  Can anyone tell me what’s going on?
Or who I should be asking?

 Glenn Evanish