Re: [tlug] Using TAR

    9915104t> Christopher SEKIYA wrote:

    >> There is no excuse for RedHat/Mandrake excesses.  Requiring a
    >> 256Mb / is practically criminal.

    9915104t> I heard the new mandrake is supposed to install into 80
    9915104t> megs (minimal installation).

On a rather fully loaded default Debian sid box, I have

bash-2.05a$ du -x --max-depth=1 /
12   /lost+found
2349 /boot
7160 /lib
2275 /bin
2483 /sbin
8465 /etc
2258 /tmp
19   /dev
# a bunch of 1 block mount points
25031 /

There is nothing outside of that that belongs in a "minimal"
installation, and in fact only about 10% of the /etc.  As Jim Breen
says, Mandrake is a weed with poisonous tendencies.

I'm ashamed to admit my /usr is bloated to hell and back, with 250MB
of fonts, 350MB of doc, 45MB of locale, 120MB of source, and 100MB of
tex in /usr/share alone.  But it wouldn't be hard to prune, and it
would be little harder to support /opt if Debian had /opted to do so
in the first place.  Most of the work could probably done by script
even now.

    >> Those who cannot determine what they need to be running should
    >> not be running UNIX.

I disagree.  But the people who are packaging for them are being
irresponsible.