Re: [tlug] Lost my XWindows

Charles Muller wrote:

> It is interesting how this happened. I was using Evolution in the Ximian
> desktop. All I wanted to do was change the font size for composing my
> outgoing mail. On the recommendations of the Evolution support people, I
> used the font preferences in the app, and it changed the fonts throughout
> the desktop. I had no idea that this would cause a problem, of course, until
> I tried to restart later on.

Assuming that you were running X as non-root, setting your preferences from a
gui app (evolution, control center, etc) shouldn't be able to access /etc and
change XF86Config and friends, unless it asked for a root password.
If the problem is with your font server (not running), typically it give an
error like: "couldn't load fixed font".

--
B0Ti.