Re: [tlug] Installing and uninstalling Netscape

Charles Muller wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 19:38, BOTi wrote:
>
> > rpm -qf `which netscape`
>
> This is answered by "No such file or directory"

rpm is the package manager under mandrake 8.1. It is installed on every
system, sou you shouldn't get a "No such file" error unless you mistyped the
command (space before -qf, etc), or ran it as a normal user who doesn't have
rpm in his path. Be sure to run it as root.

By the way, mandrake has a GUI package manager called "rpmdrake". This should
be easier for you to use i think.

> > should show you the package to which the netscape binary belongs.
> > You can delete the package with "rpm --erase packagename".
>
> I tried "rpm --erase netscape" and get

The package name is different (something like netscape-communicator). I don't
have mandrake 8.1 at hand, so I can't check exactly.

> For example, if I would like the Netscape icon to be on my program menu,

Yeah, but you also have to tell us what type of "program menu" you have. That
is, KDE, Gnome, or something else.
Under gnome, you can edit your menus with "gmenu".

--
B0Ti.