Way OT: Sending Japanese email to keitai denwa

Sorry for the OT post, but perhaps someone will have interest and ability to
help.

My wife has been trying to send Japanese email to her neice's keitai, but it
doesn't get rendered as Japanese characters, but just as `$' and other ascii
characters. She is using Outlook in US Win2k (<-- thus the OT nature of this
message) with the Japanese IME. However, when I send her neice email using
Sylpheed, she can read it fine.