Re: ftp slow to open connection

Some results.

>vt> Have you tried to connect passively? Try the following to see if your
>vt> connection time improves: ftp -p [host]

Did not improve the connection time.

>Also since it is happening on connection, I'd recommend
>checking if you are filtering off IDENT/AUTH packets destined
>for port 113 on the connecting client machine.

Neither machine has ip filtering enabled. (but just to make sure is there a
quick way to check? On 7.1 I did an ipfw but 'command not found' since I
chose to install without the firewall option).

>(You can change your xinetd configuration to not log USER

Would that make big difference? The problem I have is that I don't even get
asked for a username for about 30 seconds. After I do issue the ftp command
I have to wait about 30-60 secs for something to come back.

Jc