Re: ftp slow to open connection

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Some results.
>
> >vt> Have you tried to connect passively? Try the following to see if your
> >vt> connection time improves: ftp -p [host]
>
> Did not improve the connection time.
>
> >Also since it is happening on connection, I'd recommend
> >checking if you are filtering off IDENT/AUTH packets destined
> >for port 113 on the connecting client machine.
>
> Neither machine has ip filtering enabled. (but just to make sure is there a
> quick way to check? On 7.1 I did an ipfw but 'command not found' since I
> chose to install without the firewall option).

iptables -L
ipchains -L

one of those will say "no support in kernel" and the other one will dump a
list of rules, which may be an empty set... depending on what type of
firewalling you use, will determine which one is active in the kernel.

also, even if you have the IP address of each machine in /etc/hosts, what
does /etc/nsswitch.conf look like?  is it something like:

hosts:	files nis nisplus dns

or is it more like:

hosts:	dns files

??

make sure files comes *first*.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Director of Information Technology, Director of Research and Development
ITIsOpen, Inc. - http://www.itisopen.com
Cisco Certified Network Associate, Sun Solaris Certified Systems Administrator