Re: ftp slow to open connection

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 04:59:04PM +0900, Uva Coder wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 07:40:01AM +0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
jci> I am trying to ftp from a RH6.2 box to a 7.1 box. I find that it takes a
jci> long time for me to get a sign-in prompt. The same is true if I try the
jci> reverse, from 7.1 to 6.2 machine.

vt> Have you tried to connect passively? Try the following to see if your
vt> connection time improves: ftp -p [host]

Also since it is happening on connection, I'd recommend
checking if you are filtering off IDENT/AUTH packets destined
for port 113 on the connecting client machine.  (You can change
your xinetd configuration to not log USER or change your
filtering to REJECT rather than silently DROP such packets
to speed things up.)

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/