Re: Slow ADSL !

Asa Liton wrote:

> ACPI BOOT descriptor is wrong length (39)
> apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.14)

OK, it seems he is not using ACPI [1] but APM [2].
ACPI can cause a system slowdown in some cases.
APM should not give you that kind of trouble, but you still could try
to boot with the additional kernel parameters apm=off acpi=off and see if it
changes something:

When you get to the LILO prompt on boot, type "linux apm=off acpi=off" and hit
return. It should then boot with power management disabled, however the
impact on battery life should not be that big, as linux still uses a
special processor instruction (hlt) to save energy when the system is idle.

One additional thing to note about apm:
There is a kernel task called kapmd, which will seem to eat processor
time when your system should be idle and apm is enabled.
However this is normal behaviour as this task calls the apm bios
functions to save power.

[1] Hmm, If I remember correctly this one is short for
    "Advanced Component Peripheral Interface"
[2] Advanced Power Management

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC