Re: Hello and sub notebook

Scott M. Stone writes:
 > On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Michael Moyle wrote:
 >

 > > First of all I would like to say hello. I am new to Tokyo. I have not
 > > yet been to a meeting, but plan to come at some stage.
 > >
 > > OK, lets get down to business =>
 > >
 > > Has anyone installed linux on the Fujitsu Bilblio T7/6W? If so, did the
 > > dvd player work? This is one of the sub notebooks.
 > >
 > > I was over at T-Zone in Akihabara checking these bad boys out. I noticed
 > > it had a little light  on the top cover that said "Wireless on/off" it
 > > appears to have some kind of built in wireless capacity, does anyone
 > > know anything about it? Not reading Japanese, it is hard to figure these
 > > things out.
 >
 > DVD support under Linux in general is not in widespread use yet.  IBM has
 > a LinDVD player that they're shipping with the Linux-equipped Thinkpads,
 > at least in the U.S., so something exists, but you may have to do some
 > sniffing around to get a version that works for you.

For DVD support have a look at mplayer, xine or vlc. Of course, if you
are living in the US you can get arrested for that. The players
mentioned above have nice DVD playback, but lack the DVD menus. There is
another project (from Sweden I think) that is supposed to have good
menu support, have a look at freshmeat to find it. The DVD filesystem
(UDF) is supported in the 2.4.x kernels, for "encrypted" DVDs you need
libcss (or what they call it now). For ac3 you need a52dec (formerly
ac3dec). For more information you can look at www.linuxvideo.org.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@example.com                     http://www.metzlerbros.de