Re: minoru hodo koube wo tareru inahokana

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, roylo wrote:

> I can understand your point; and I do agree to it.
> However, I view it a bit differently from you.
> I started out playing linux back when the symbol was elf/dwarf instead of
> that cute little penguin. ^_^;
> At that time linux wasn't that popular and online resource was little. So I
> learn it by reading the HOWTOs and try&error method.
> Later on when linux got popular I was the kind of guy that will tell people
> to "RTFM"; why? because I think all the answers are in the HOWTOs and if the
> questions are big and nasty enough I should send an e-mail and ask the
> authors instead.
> Sometimes, if people caught me in a good mood I will help them out; elsewise
> I will tell them go "RTFM"
> And then one day I got stocked on some problems and didn't quiet understand
> the README file that was suppose to explain to solution for it;  so I went
> on irc and ask people for help. And someone reply back with "RTFM" to me; As
> much as it hurt my pride I realize that what I did was wrong. And that
> really made me changed myself.
>
> There is nothing wrong with point out mistakes to people; however, one can
> choose to do it in a professional and friendly manner or otherwise. That is
> what I'm trying to get across to this mailing list. I agree with what you
> are saying and I hold pretty much as the same value as you do. But I think
> it will be better to say, "Here, please go to linuxdoc.org and you can find
> the howto for {etc, etc...}" instead of just saying something like "RTFM"

some mail programs, like emacs/xemacs, would even let you macro it so that
as soon as you type "RTFM" it would replace it with a random politeness...
ie, RTFM now becomes "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu" or something :)  sigh..

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Director of Information Technology, Director of Research and Development
ITIsOpen, Inc. - http://www.itisopen.com
Cisco Certified Network Associate, Sun Solaris Certified Systems Administrator