Re: Hostname questions

    >> This is another area of puzzlement for me. I installed RH7.1 on
    >> a PC connected to my Tokyo Metallic ARESCOM router
    >> (ADSL). Since the modem/router assigns the IP address, I chose
    >> DHCP for the network information. But Red Hat sets the router
    >> IP address as the DNS server address.

Debian's installation makes this assumption as well.

    Jake> It may be getting the DNS server address via DHCP from the
    Jake> router.  This is supported by the DHCP protocol, but seems
    Jake> like a strange thing to do.

But if it did that, it would likely get a correct one.  The router
_should_ know it's not a DNS server, and can you imagine what would
happen if all the Windows users ran into the same problem?  I conclude
the router probably knows better.

    >> I have to plug in some working DNS server addresses, but if I
    >> reboot (not too often, fortunately), they have been replaced by
    >> the router address again. Where can I set this information so
    >> it will stick?

    Jake> You could add nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf,
    Jake> e.g. "nameserver aa.bb.cc.dd"

But he's already done that.  You have to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf to
have any effect AFAIK.  I've seen DHCP and network/PCMCIA startup
scripts that do so in a destructive way, they think they know better
than the sysadmin.  I think that's probably what's happening.

Try grepping for resolv in /etc/init.d/* and /etc/sysconfig/network,
etc.