Re: Hostname questions

--- John De Hoog <dehoog@example.com> wrote:
> Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com> wrote:
>
>      In fact, all your machine needs is an IP address. It can get
>      even more interesting. With DHCP, the machine can
>      get its IP address at boot from DHCP, then query DNS to figure
> out
>      what it's hostname is (and maybe write it to /etc/hostname).
> This
>      is pretty common for client machines in a corporate environment.
>
> This is another area of puzzlement for me. I installed RH7.1 on a PC
> connected to my Tokyo Metallic ARESCOM router (ADSL). Since the
> modem/router assigns the IP address, I chose DHCP for the network
> information. But Red Hat sets the router IP address as the DNS server
> address.

It may be getting the DNS server address via DHCP from the router.
This is supported by the DHCP protocol, but seems like a strange
thing to do.

> I have to plug in some working DNS server addresses, but if
> I reboot (not too often, fortunately), they have been replaced by the

> router address again. Where can I set this information so it will
> stick?

You could add nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf,
e.g. "nameserver aa.bb.cc.dd"
This would likely work, but you the system might try the
the router first, causing delays.

I guess you are doing PPP over Ethernet. So you could probably
set the DNS server in the ppp chat script/configuration for
the connection, and it would take priority. This is proably the
best solution.

> --
> John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>

Regards,