Re: Hostname questions

>From: Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com>
>
>They actually do a pretty good job of things. It's a hard problem
>to solve cleanly. I wonder how long it will be before a distro
>attempts to do it in python :-)

Plain english first, python after that ;)

>Some of it is simply convention.

And what a convention!

>Strictly speaking, it doesn't. But, conventionally, a machine
>will be set up this way.

Ok. Now I have:

[root@example.com /etc]# cat hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
10.2.100.85	linux

[root@example.com /etc]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=eth0
GATEWAY=10.2.100.91
HOSTNAME=linux

[root@example.com /etc]# echo $HOSTNAME
linux

But, I still have an empty HOSTNAME file. From everything that has written
so far I figure it shold contain my machine's name no?

[root@example.com /etc]# cat /etc/HOSTNAME

[root@example.com /etc]#

>It is generally better to have some kind of host and domain
>structure, at least for a corporate network.

I agree. But we don't have one. I am installing Linux machines on a
corporate network full of Windows machines. So no DHCP, no local DNS, no
domain name either :)

>Well, a lot of sofware assumes that you at least have a hostname.

Sure, but why is /etc/hosts the place they look? the host name is set in
/etc/sysconfig/network or queried by using the /bin/hostname command.

Networking is so much fun! (when it works that is :)

Jc