Re: Localhost connection refused

John,

You're running RH 7.1. There is nothing difficult about it, honest :)
At this stage I know more about leafnode, ie it runs from inetd services.
On RH 7.1, inetd is not used but rather xinetd is. So /etc/inetd.conf
is the wrong file unless you are running inetd. Ok, I'll assume you
want to get it running on xinetd, and as we've seen, your firewall is
ipchains and accepting everything, so its a config problem. The trouble
with following docs is that sometimes they're for a different setup.

Okay you've installed leafnode from source right?

All you have to do is make sure xinetd is running and knows about the
service to connect from localhost on the default RH 7.1 install.

# ps -aef | grep '[x]inetd'

is it running?

If not this is your first problem, to solve. I'll assume it is running
for now, as it is by default.

Lets check the config file for xinetd next. Where did you put the
new entry to start leafnode? You can either modify /etc/xinetd.conf
or put it in its own file in /etc/xinetd.d?

Is it there? Is it disabled? Without it enabled here xinetd won't
know anything about it. Here is what I have for finger, note that
it is disabled...

# cat /etc/xinetd.d/finger
# default: on
#	a protocol that allows remote users to see information such \
#	as login name and last login time for local users.
service finger
{
	socket_type	= stream
	wait		= no
	user		= nobody
	server		= /usr/sbin/in.fingerd
	disable		= yes
}

So, add you own file for leafnode and make sure disable = no.

After, you put it in there, you'll have to tell xinetd to look for
it. On RH, this is easy...

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd reload

Now check /var/log/messages and look for error messages from the reload.
It should tell you that one new service was added.

Next check that its listening with netstat again?

# netstat -l -A inet

Does it mention nntp or port 119? I assume this is the default port for
this program to run on...

If it is, you should be able to connect to it now. If it doesn't work,
please tell us exactly what doesn't work and perhaps include log file
output and the output of netstat/ps etc which should help us. You've
been very vague so far just saying that you followed the instructions
and its not working. Be more specific and then we will.

Good luck!

Tom.

Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@example.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs