Re: Localhost connection refused

Takeshi Hakamata <tkh@example.com> wrote:

     At Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:58:48 +0900,
     John De Hoog wrote:

     > The leafnode config file itself says nothing about who may access
     > localhost; it only controls access to the remote servers. I have
     > /etc/nntpserver set to localhost. I have /etc.hosts.allow set to
     > "leafnode localhost". I've followed the installation instructions to the
     > letter, and fetchnews works fine. The problem that remains is lack of
     > permission to access localhost, even from root.

     I use leafnode, though I use debian unstable.
     I believe that leafnode is invoked by inetd. Take a look at
     /etc/inetd.conf. if the nntp entry is not commented out,
     leafnode is invoked by inetd.

It's set as I explained earlier, exactly as described in the INSTALL
file.

     Then, you may want to check /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files.
     These files control how tcpd restricts the access to specific daemon.
     Make sure that there is 'leafnode: ALL' entry in hosts.deny and
     'leafnode: 127.0.0.1' entry in hosts.allow.

Yes, these are set, too. But I get Connection refused when I try to
access localhost or 127.0.0.1 from my NNTP client. Any NNTP client.

I've set up local servers on WinNT and Win2K with no problem. I don't
understand what's going on here. None of the suggestions made so far
have worked, I'm afraid, since I had already followed all the
instructions that come with the leafnode package.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>