Re: Q.

Dan Lindfield wrote:

> Thanks, I've recoverd the situation. Can I create a rescue disk before trying
> anything else?

I think Mandrake has rescue disk images also. Just `dd` it onto a floppy.

> Yes the other OS uses IRQ5 on both and works fine. I tried reloading the soundcard on
> Linux using sndconfig, these are the messages I received, if they mean anything to
> anyone then I'm listening!
>
>      PCI sound card found on your system VIA TECH IVT82C686_5

First why don't you try the sound drivers in the kernel instead of alsa.
I think this is the one you need:

CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX:
Say Y here to include support for the audio codec found on VIA
82Cxxx-based chips. Typically these are built into a motherboard. DO
NOT select Sound Blaster or Adlib with this driver, unless you have
a Sound Blaster or Adlib card in addition to your VIA audio chip.

>      Testing sound card
>      error running modprobe
>      /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdkfb/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or Resource
>      buisy
>      sound:  Device or Resource buisy
>      sb: No such file or directory.

sb is for soundblaster. Obviously you don't have that.
Just compile&install the via sound driver and `modprobe` it. Forget soundconfig.

--
B0Ti.