Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Stephen J. Turnbull:

> Be boring.

Thanks, but do you think I need any more encouragement?

And thank you for your depressing but informative reply.  Hmm, if
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ (which I hadn't heard of an hour ago) were
up and lived up to its name, all the answers might be there; but as it
is, I'm still lost.

Right-ho, so I need a PostScript printer. Epson, for example, offers one
http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/printer/laser/lp8700ps3/8700ps32.htm
that churns out 23PPM (five times the speed I need) and prints A3 (which
I never need and would seldom want), and not surprisingly gives it a
price tag of \218,000. Holy shinola! (Or, yes, Epson, I love you too.) Windoze
plus printer is a lot cheaper than Linux plus this kind of printer, and
of course I don't really want a monster occupying half my desk. Any
suggestions for a cheaper alternative?