Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Stephen J. Turnbull replied to Peter Evans:
>     Peter> http://www.brother.co.jp/direct/hl1240/frhl1240.html .
>     Peter> DOSもしくはWindows経由でのDOSアプリケーションの印刷はできま
>     Peter> せん。which I imagine means: This printer works as a
>     Peter> hardware accessory to Windows.
>
> No.  It implies there is no DOS printer driver, since it says DOS
> apps can't use it, even in a Windows environment.  Bad news for Linux
> support, since it implies the Brother protocol is nonstandard and it
> doesn't support any of the standards.

I think that's not exactly what it means.  Epson has said the same thing on
printers they've made in recent years, and it seems to mean that there are
no fonts in the printer's ROM.  I think Windows drivers and Linux drivers
can still use familiar raster protocols.