not-even-newbie printer question

The toner cartridge in my LaserJet IIIP is running low. A new cartridge
would cost, um, uh, 15 thou or so, I think. Moreover, this ancient
printer is starting to show signs of a malaise that previously needed a
repair costing perhaps 25 thou. Hmmm. . . .

I really intend to start using Linux but it's going to have to wait a
bit. Now, even before starting to use Linux, I'm suddenly wondering
about a printer for it. What are the cheapish alternatives? I don't care
if it's no faster than what I have now, and recent inkjets have good
enough print quality for me. But I'm wary of newer, cheapo printers: I'm
sick both of paying through the nose for the minuscule cartridges that
my ladyfriend's Lexmark something-something inkjet gobbles down, and
also of the crummy, fault-prone paper-feed mechanism of the LaserJet 5L
I have at home. A networked printer would be handy, too: I could leave
it connected to both my new Linux machine and this 'Doze machine that
I'll have to keep.

Ideas? Suggestions? Warnings? URLs?