Re: IS MICROSOFT SECRETLY USING OPEN SOURCE?

On Wed, 2001 Jun 20 Peter Evans wrote:
-> Dymytro Kovalov writes, before quoting me:
   ~~~~~~~ Dmytro

->
-> > I personally do not have any MS systems around, but thing
-> > like "Boo, RH  uses MS!!!" is just too much even for me.
->
-> I don't know if this is related to my quote (and also I don't know in

No, it's not. It was mostly related to the post originally started this
discussion:

vp@example.com said:
-> Would you be amused to learn that RedHat employees use Windows?

I'm not using MS products not because of any religious beliefs that
"Free software ... blah-blah-blah", but because it's more convenient for
me to use UNIX for most tasks I'm doing. And if it were more convenient
to use Office on NT I'd no doubt use it. All the stuff like "I'd rather
ftp file to [...] then convert it using [... ] into [...] then I will do
[...] rather then use devil's inspired MS products" is no more than
Jehova's Vitnesses stuff or Moron's Book applied to software
development.

Computer has nothing to do with that kind of religion. Computers are
just about how to do what's need to be done in less time. And "more
convenient" and "more productive" surely means "less time".

peter@example.com said:
-> All I was muttering about was the possible (and highly irritating)
-> need to keep Windows around for people such as myself who deal with
-> companies tied to MS.

And in your particular situation sure it's more convenient and
productive to have MS installed somewhere (even if it's under vmware,
it's still MS) to do your tasks then walking on the streets, waving a
red flag and yelling "I hate Microsoft!"

Hope this answers your question :)

--dmytro