Re: Apache rotate log config option is where?

Jc,

Under Unix, a "zombie" has a specific meaning. It's a
child process that has exited, and the system is holding its
return status around, but there is no parent process
left around that cares to read it. They still show up
on the ps display, but there is nothing there. So they
are the "living dead".

In your case, it sounds like the processes are hung, waiting
for something to happen, or they are just working slowly.
Sometimes this happens when all the processes are waiting
on a single resource, like an overloaded disk or network
connection.

You might check to see if there is any data actually
moving, which will tell you which program is really
causing the problem, client or httpd.

The "strace" utility allows you to connect to a running
process and trace its use of system calls. If you see
reads and/or writes, data is moving.

I think you would be better off with piping the logs
through rotatelogs, as Tom does.

Jake