Re: Further horrors of 'ksysv'

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:43:14PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Thomas O'Dowd wrote:
>
> > >   I discovered tonight that something a lot more critical is now
> > > BROKEN (!@#!!$!@!), almost certainly due to this misadventure with
> > > 'ksysv':  all my attempts to ftp in from 'VMWare' virtual Windopey
> > > machines are now meeting with rejection.
>
> > So what errors are you getting? Can you do an ftp from localhost?
>
>   Sorry, I didn't provide much info at all, I was writing in such
> haste last night.  No, I can't ftp to localhost, either:
>
> 	<denismcm@example.com:~>$ ftp localhost
> 	Connected to localhost.
> 	220 localhost FTP server (Version wu-2.6.0(1) Mon Feb 28
> 	    10:30:36 EST 2000) ready.
> 	331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> 	530 Login incorrect.
> 	Login failed.
> 	ftp> user denismcm
> 	331 Password required for denismcm.
> 	Password:
> 	530 Login incorrect.

Okay so you are able to at least connect to ftp, but your username/password
combo ain't working. I doubt ksysv was messing with this but do a

$ ls -l /etc/ftp*

and see if anything has an updated timestamp. try grep your username in
/etc/ftpusers. if you're in it, it means ftp will ignore you as a user.
Have you logged in lately? Perhaps your username/password has changed
somehow. You can check this quickly with either a telnet or a ssh to
localhost and try and login. If that doesn't work then it is a password
problem. If it works perhaps ftp has a problem. Check if any of the pam
files were updated, again,

$ ls -l /etc/pam.d/

Try that for now and let us know how you fair.

Also, isn't wu-ftp version 2.6.0 have a root exploit. Perhaps you could
login that way :) Just kidding. Better upgrade to 2.6.1.

ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd-attic/cert.org/CA-2000-13

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@example.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs