RE: Linux and ADSL

beware redhat 7.0.... BEWARE!!  if I were you I'd back it all up, reformat,
and install Redhat 7.1.

why?  7.0 did something that I've never, in over 6 years of using Linux,
come across.  For no reason at all, just COMPLETELY trashed my ext2fs file
system to the point where /usr/lib was no longer a directory and /lost+found
contained only spotty remnants of what used to be in there.  No bad sectors
on the disk - ie, no IDE errors at all while the fsck that caught this was
running, and when reinstalling 7.1, I did the "check for bad blocks" - none
found.  I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but... no other distro I've
seen has done this.  7.1 seems to be okay, it's been running on this laptop
now longer than I had 7.0 on there for, and so far, so good.

BTW, does anyone know if the FreeS/WAN guys have a patch now that works
against 2.4.4?  Alan Cox took out some part of one of the kernel structures
that was flagged as "obsolete", but guess what, FreeS/WAN was using it... I
talked to Alan about it already, he says it's intentional and that it's
FreeS/WAN's problem to make their stuff work..

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA