Re: Linux and ADSL

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:12:11PM -0000, Bryan Mark wrote:
> If it's any consolation, I've been waiting for Flets ADSL since early April.
> They are reeeallly slow at processing orders - must be busy (then again, I'm
> in Nakanoku - which is not the center of cool broadband development if you
> know what I mean :^)) - according to a recent survey I saw at J@example.com inc. the
> number of DSL users is growing at a mammoth rate, but still few homes
> overall are connected.
> I currently use Flets ISDN with a RH7.0 linux box as a NAT with a 2.4.0
> kernel - works great - I am hoping to do the same thing with ADSL, as long
> as getting the PPPoE driver to work is easy. As an ISP I use AT&T JENS,
> which gives you a dynamic global IP - but if the connection times out and
> then reconnects you get assigned a different IP address; so not very useful
> for running a globally visible web server, I assume the same thing will
> happen with the ADSL service.

If you get a dynamic IP, one idea might be to setup a web page on your
public server (perhaps your isp gives you space) and then have your
private machine behind adsl regularly upload its ip address to the public
server via some script. When people access the public web server then it
could redirect them to your last uploaded IP? I'm sure there is a better,
niftier way to do this, but it should work, me thinks.

I recently applied for ADSL with eaccess and got it in about 2 weeks. I
rang NTT before applying and they said they were out of ADSL modems and I
would have to wait until July. I'm not good at waiting...

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@example.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs