Re: GUI IDE for Linux

Jc,

--- Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:
> I want to develop a program for Linux that has a C backend a GUI
> front-end

As Jim pointed out, a nice way to do this is to have the core in
C and use a scripting language to drive the UI. I have done this
with Perl/Tk and Python/Tk with good results. Both GTK+ and
Qt/KDE also have nice bindings to Perl and Python.

> Can anyone recommend an easy to use IDE?

I use Visual SlickEdit (http://www.slickedit.com/). It is
definitely non-free -- it's perhaps the most expensive programmer's
editor out there. But I think it is worth every penny. It supports all
the languages I use -- Perl, Python, C++, Java, PHP, etc. It does
just about everything that Microsoft's Visual C++ does, but with vi
keybindings :-)

For debugger, I use ddd, in the rare cases that I need it.

If I didn't use SlickEdit, I would probably be using XEmacs or
KDevelop.

> Jc

-Jake