Re: Yamaha RTA 50i with RedHat 7.0

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 12:08:50AM +0900, junkyard boyoy wrote:
> I've been able to connect to the internet through the "Kantan Settei" page
> using my Yamaha RTA 50i router.  What I want to do, though, is connect
> through the serial port (just like the MS Windows' Dial-up Networking) on
> RedHat 7.0.  I tried the RPHPPP utility included with GNOME to try setting
> up my router, but failed.  It seems to be "interacting" with the router
> (gives a log in the "debug" section), but doesn't seem to connect to my ISP.
>   Any clue as to why my router won't connect?  Thanks in advance!

There are two ways to connect to the 50i. One is via eithernet (which seems to
be what you have alreaddy been doing). The other is via serial cable. The Yamaha
50i has a special serial cable. You should have gotten one when you bought it.
If you don't have one, let me know, I have many. I beleive ppp is for ethernet.
You need a package that uses the serial device, such as "cu". Also, you will need to
install the uucp package. Once you install these packages and connect to the router,
type at&r. Hit enter. You will be prompted for a password. The commands for the
Yamaha are somewhat similar to Cisco. Use the "?" + tab key for hints. I could send
you a basic configuration file if you need.

JMorgan