RE: Java in ja_JP environment

>> From: "legend" <fukudam@example.com>
>> >
>> Java works fine when I set LANG back to en_US.

Good to know that pure-as-driven-snow, Unicode-from-the-beginning
Java has stuffed up on locales too   8-)}

Perhaps you need the patched Japanese version (don't hit me, Stephen;
I'm wearing glasses!)

>>  I'm suspecting maybe
>> it's the setting in JVM since it works when I change the codeset,
>> like LANG=ja_JP.JIS7 or ja_JP.SJIS

Ho-hum.

>> However, if I do this, all the stuff in X causes messed up jp fonts...
>>
>> I wonder if there's a way to use Japanese fonts without setting LANG
>> or locale to jp,

You mean like I've been doing for 11 years?

In this case I think you've been caught by the
"only-the-Japanese-need-Japanese" attitude be some developers.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of