Re: DNS question, maybe

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:16:32AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I have a Linux web server that sits on a LAN and I'd like users to be able
> to access it by name and not ip (i.e. http://myserver instead of 10.0.1.88).
>
> The LAN PCs (windows machines) however use our provider for DNS, not the
> Linux box. Is there anyway for me to achieve this?

Run DNS on your Linux box listing your ISP as a forwarder and
defining your own local zone?  :-)

But if you want to keep using the provider directly for DNS,
you could add 10.0.1.88 to the 'hosts' file on *each* window
machine:

10.0.1.88  myserver

Win9x: \windows\hosts  NT: \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts