Re: XIM, kinput2 & Tk

Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@example.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:37:16PM +0900, Jim Breen wrote:
>
> > Where in the configuration is LANG, etc. set?
>
> .xsession/.xinitrc seems to be the canonical spot.

usually these scripts don't set LANG etc by default, unless
the user edits them. If you set LANG=ja_JP in these scripts, it
has the disadvantage that

    ~$ LANG=de_DE startx

won't work anymore and gdm's language menu won't work anymore either.

> Correct.  In that case, you're screwed because the Xim*() routines in
> libX11 look at LANG (and _only_ LANG, it seems).

I think several applications look for LC_CTYPE to decide whether they
should use XIM or not.

> > Doesn't work. Possibly because LC_ALL contains "C", according to the
> > return from setlocale().
>
> I don't think it cares about LC_ALL.

LC_CTYPE inherits the value from LC_ALL unless LC_CTYPE is explicitly
set. So I think LC_ALL may matter.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian