Re: XIM, kinput2 & Tk

jwb@example.com (Jim Breen) writes:

> >> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
> >> (2) It explicitly opens an X Input Method:
> >>
> >>     (a) It sets the program's locale using the standard library
> >>         function setlocale(), either from the environment (default) or
> >>         explicitly.  Eg, "ja_JP.eucJP".  I think it specifically looks
> >>         at the LANG and LC_ALL variables, but not at any of the
> >>         subcategories.
>
> Where in the configuration is LANG, etc. set? I note that in my
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xinput it looks at LC_ALL and if it contains
> ja_JP it starts kinput2. Presumably LC_ALL gets set before then, but
> where?

On a RedHat system, it is set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n:

    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$ cat /etc/issue

    Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
    Kernel 2.2.16 on an i686

    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$ cat i18n
    LANG="ja_JP.eucJP"
    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$

seems to be still the same on 7.0:

    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$ cat /etc/issue

    Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
    Kernel 2.2.16-22 on an i586

    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$ cat i18n
    LANG="de_DE"
    mfabian@example.com:/etc/sysconfig$

> >> In your case, you need (a) XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
>
> Got that.
>
> >> and (b)
> >> LANG="ja_JP.eucJP" (probably, works for me but YYMV) in your
> >> environment or you will lose.  Of course, you may lose anyway; this is
> >> XIM.
>
> Doesn't work. Possibly because LC_ALL contains "C", according to the
> return from setlocale().

Yes, probably. LC_ALL overrides all LC_* variables.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian