Re: Linux-to-Linux copying?

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:37:26AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I am using rcp to copy files between two linux machines.
[...]
> 1- Is rcp the fastest way to copy files from one Linux machine to another
> over a network?

rsync is a great application for this.  It uses a smart
algorithm to copy only the changed files (or changed parts of
files) to conserve network bandwidth during repeated copies.
http://rsync.samba.org/
Your Linux distribution probably provides an rsync package.

> 3- Is there a way to make rcp not over-write files?

rsync has a '--update' switch that prevents it from overwriting
newer files on the destination machine.  (There is also a
'--delete' switch to make files on the destination disappear if
they no longer exist on the sending side.)

> 4- Is having a .rhost file safe?

rysnc can also be used across an ssh channel ('-e ssh', or set
the RYSNC_RSH environment variable to your ssh).