Re: How to automate email retrieval

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I do fetchmail on my from my linux client
> Japanese characters do not get displayed
> correctly (mojibake again). My mailspool on the
> mailservers contains messages that are not euc-jp
>
> Is there a way of converting the messages to euc-jp encoding
> while doing fetchmail, like piping to nkf.

might want to also check and make sure you're using the Japanified version
of fetchmail... there is a port, and I would think that it probably
addresses this already.

> Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> > > I've gotten fetchmail to work as a daemon, but I don't think this means it
> > > gets restarted when the machine reboots or keep going when you logout or
> > > even that it restarts itself it it dies for some reason.
> >
> > 1. It keeps going when you logout
> > 2. If it dies it does not restart
> > 3. You have to restart it on reboot
> >
> > > I'm new to linux sysadmin and I'm just wondering what is the "proper" way of
> > > getting fetchmail to always be up and running as a deamon. If it to ask each
> > > user to make a cron job or is there some way I can do this as root and have
> > > fetchmail run system wide for each user?
> >
> > At first I had a normal modem/isdn dialup account. So to automatically
> > fetch mail for my brother and me I made a script like this:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > while true; do
> >   fetchmail
> >   sleep 10m
> > done
> > This was started in /etc/ppp/ip-up with startproc and killed in
> > /etc/ppp/ip-down with killproc.
> >
> > In this example fetchmail is being called as root and /root/.fetchmailrc
> > was configured to fetch mail from both mail-accounts and deliver it to two
> > local users.
> >
> > Problem here was that sometimes one of the mailservers was kinda slow and
> > you had to be root to change account data. (Of course this doesn't matter
> > much with only to users)
> >
> > I then modified this script to start one fetchmail for each user with both
> > running simultaneously.
> >
> > Then I discovered the daemon option and tried out that one (starting
> > fetchmail for each user as a daemon in ip-up and killing it in ip-down).
> >
> > Now I have a ADSL-flatrate, so I am forwarding my mail to my system
> > instead of polling mail with fetchmail.
> >
> > What approach you want to use depends on your internet connection type,
> > the number of users on your system and which you like most ^_-
> >
> > -- Tobias

> > Next Technical Meeting:  Prof. Jim Breen  Sat, March 10 13:30-
> > Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, April 13 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae
> > more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp           Sponsor: Global Online Japan

> Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, April 13 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae
> Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Cisco Certified Network Associate, Sun Solaris Certified Systems Administrator
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company