Re: nkf

I gather you intended a wide reply, but as far as I can tell it didn't
go to the list.  Whack me if redistributing this was evil....

    SN>        nkf - $B%M%C%H%o!<%/MQ4A;z%3!<%IJQ49%U%#%k%?(B v1.9

I can't tell what's going on here.  The escape characters (0x1B) have
been stripped from your mail; they could be broken in the original as
well.  The fact that you get so many errors suggests you're getting
the wrong groff.

    SN> Thank you for suggesting the English-language manual page.  It
    SN> works on my system too.  Why didn't I think of it before.

Many Japanese apps don't have an English man page.  For example, if
you read nkf's, you'll see that it isn't in English :-P.  (I do like
those "bellow options", yelling at the computer certainly relieves
stress.)  In my case, for reasons I don't understand yet (did a Debian
upgrade yesterday, may be fixed in tomorrow's, I may never know :-P) I
can't get Japanese output.  I suspect the problem is that jgroff got
uninstalled due to dependency breakage or isn't invoked properly or
something.

    SN> By the way, does anyone know why other Japanese-language
    SN> manual pages display in Japanese?  (Does this question need a
    SN> smiley?)

Possibly they came as preformatted `catman' pages, or you first
accessed them before your latest upgrade broke groff and so they were
cached, somewhere in the bowels of /var.