Re: Three questions

> (a) I have decided to bite the bullet and get a new notebook here. I've
> been checking out the ones at Akihabara, and Laox's place that
> specializes in stuff for foreigners has "Western" Toshibas, etc. at
> bearable prices, albeit higher that I'd pay in Australia for the same
> gear.
> Q: Does anyone have any suggestions of better places to try?
>    I really want a non-Japanese keyboard.

I bought a Compaq presario at Tsukumo denki. There was some foreing
keyboards
at that place. I think that is better you go to the place where is located
that store. It's near tha exit of JR. There was a lot of stores that are
small and cheaper and I think you can trust. Japanese people is very
honest!!
Other way is to take a Japanese notebook and after change the keyboard. For
example I know that a friend of me can change the japanese keyboard for a
western keyboard. For Compaq for example in they home page there are all the
manuals of how open the computer. It's the tecnical manual and are all
detailed. It can be download. I think that the other companies is the same.

> (b) Q: If I get a system with a 10Gb HDD, what is a good partitioning
> strategy? I want to have a usable Windows (probably 98) partition, and I
> expect I'd need to give it about 2G. What would be appropriate for the
> rest? If it's a 128Mb system, what is the optimal swap size?

I'm not an expert but I can say my idea. 2G is goob for windows. If you
don't use programs that need a lot of ram in linux, maybe 100Mb of swat is
enougth. I have 128Mb too and this is the size of my swap partition and I
didn't have problems. With the other space you can make two partitions. One
for all the system and other for the some file system like usr.

> (c) I think I'll start with RH6.2, mainly because I am most used to RH's
> funny little ways, and it's the one most used at Monash. I don't really
> want to put in the J version unless it's the only way to get kterm, etc.
> working.
>
> Q: where is a good place to obtain the CDs of RH6.2 (non-J) around
> here?

I don't know how to find a copy of RH6.2 in Japan, but if you can't find it,
send me your address and I will send it to you. I live in Spain but the copy
that I have is the western copy so I think that you won't have problems. I
have the RH7 too.

Bye.
Pietro.