getcwd / Biblio and APM

Hello again.

One silly questions and one silly bit of advice.
I haven't found the answer to these questions in
the docs.

First the question.

* when I su to become a certain user, I get the following error:

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: Permission denied

I checked the permissions on the directory and getcwd, and can't find
what is out of order. This may have something to do with the fact that
a Mac machine is using Appleshare to access this directory. Maybe
something got changed somewhere when that started up recently...

However. the su works. nothing suffers due to the problem, apparently.
do I need to fix this, and how?

Now the silly advice.
I have a used FMV-5133 NA6/w Fujitsu Biblio, circa 1997.
advice
a) there are quite a few of these floating around
Akihabara, lately. Unless you consider yourself very
lucky, you might want to pass on them. After one month,
the one I picked up at Sofmap now has a completely dark
screen (I have to use a CRT). The CD-ROM drive is overly
sensitive or something, and finds faults with CD disks
that work on other computers. The video chip doesn't really
work well with X, apparently (can't get rid of the
beautiful starry sky effect, even though I found a
formula that stops the screen from shaking). I am not
convinced that the built-in Tulip Lan card is working
well on this system (every now and again, nfs transfers
slow to molasses; /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart gets
things back in shape, however. Also, each time I resume,
I have to restart network in the same way).

No wonder one can hardly find any record on the
net of someone running Linux on one of these beasties.

b) If you should fail to heed this advice or
bought one before reading it, I have the following
advice which will help keep the hard disk from
locking up after resuming, when using APM.
Changing one of these three APM configurations
(not sure which) when recompiling the kernel
did the trick.

CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y

Before I did this, the hard disk locked up
about one time in 3 resumes. Each time, I had
to boot from a rescue disk and fsck.ext2 the
partition each time, to get things back to
normal!

<ok, silliness ends>

Tony Laszlo  T.ラズロ
Jiyugaoka, Tokyo  東京都目黒区