Re: getcwd / Biblio and APM

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 07:29:03PM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> * when I su to become a certain user, I get the following error:
>
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
                                                                     ^^^^^^
> directories: Permission denied
>
> I checked the permissions on the directory and getcwd, and can't find
> what is out of order. This may have something to do with the fact that
> a Mac machine is using Appleshare to access this directory. Maybe
> something got changed somewhere when that started up recently...
>
> However. the su works. nothing suffers due to the problem, apparently.
> do I need to fix this, and how?

Do all the parent directories above that directory have read and execute
permissions for that user? Mind you, there are situations where not giving
parent directory access is the Right Thing to do (e.g., accounts dedicated
to daemons). If you don't fix it, some badly written programs that insist on
getting the full absolute path of the current directory may suffer, although I
can't really think of one offhand.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/