Re: Wnn problem

Stephen J Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:

>>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> writes:
Jim> has a Wnn6 running on port 22273.

Are you sure it's Wnn6?  Both Wnn4 and Wnn6 use the same port.  If
port 22273 is labelled `wnn6' in /etc/services, that's what you'll see
regardless of which version of jserver you are running.

The startup sequence for Wnn4 (or FreeWnn) is the same as for Wnn6.
jserver itself is best started by init.

In xinitrc or ~/.xinitrc you need to do:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -wnn -jserver localhost &
    export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

Afterwards, make sure you are running in a Japanese locale.  I use

        export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
        export LANGUAGE=ja
        export LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
        export OUTPUT_CHARSET=EUC-JP

[The OUTPUT_CHARSET setting is only needed if you are using glibc 2.2
or later.]

> Ah, is Wnn6 compatible with Wnn4?

No, definitely not at the library level.  At the network protocol
level, I'm not sure.  Everything I have that uses Wnn, links against
the library.

> I dunno, I'd be tempted to give up on Wnn and use Canna.  (Erm,
> actually, that's what I did 5 years ago....)

> Or use XEmacs and shell-mode ;-)  If that doesn't work, bitch at Steve
> Baur.

Gee, thanks Steve.