Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Sorin Savastre wrote:

> Jack Morgan wrote:
>
> > How different is FreeBSD from Linux. I'm currently running Debian potato and
> > wanted to try FreeBSD. Any potential pitfalls? Concerns? Advice?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -jack
> >

> FreeBSD is very restrictive with the hardware and is not very friendly. Also I
> don't no why standard distribution is coming with sh not bash like shell. But is
> a Unix not a Unix Like. The kernel is very optimized and is working more fast
> than Linux. The routing capabilities are more smart on the BSD kernel.

Looking at the latest FreeBSD 4.2, I don't see any major hardware not
supported by it that IS supported by Linux.  that used to be a pitfall of
FreeBSD, but apparently not anymore.

As far as the shell, /bin/sh is a standard bourne shell, and the system
also comes with csh and tcsh.  If you want bash, well,
/usr/ports/shells/bash will fix you right up.