Re: Japanese Input

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them out.
My knowledge of setting up Japanese FEP is
rather rudimentary. I am wondering if using "canna"
would make things easier.

Mike Fabian wrote:

> The "return" key does work for me as usual. The "enter" key (i.e.  the
> key on the lower right of most keyboards) does not work anymore, it
> just inserts a ^M.

Yes the "enter" key inserts a ^M in my case too.

> Example of Japanese input with kinput2 and wnn in kterm:
>
> - Shift-space to go into Japanese mode
> - enter "kanji", gets automatically converted to かんじ
> - Control-j converts it to 漢字. If the first conversion
>   is not successfull, type Control-j again and the selection
>   window pops up.
> - Control-l "fixes" the conversion
> - Control-Shift_r-space leaves the Japanese mode
>
> There are some other keybindings, they are explained in the
> documentation which comes with kinput2:
>
>     mfabian@example.com:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/packages/kinput2/doc
>     ccdef    defaultkeys  problems  resources  sj3guide.ps
>     classes  defkeys.wnn  protocol  sj3def     sj3guide.tex
>
> Read the files "defaultkeys" (English) and "defkeys.wnn" (Japanese).

Thanks for the hints, I will try them out

> I wonder whether it would make any sense to change the default
> keybindings of the kinput2 <-> wnn interface to something more similar
> to other Japanese input methods. The default keybindings are really
> strange in my opinion. But maybe long time wnn users want it like
> that.
>
> What do you think about that?

Changing default keybindings would make things easier, I guess.
Will try to use canna instead of wnn if the set-up is going to
be too painful.

Raghavan

-------
Venkatesh Raghavan