Re: Tokyu CATV (was Re: Metallic DSL in Tokyo)

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 12:13:16AM +0900, Alberto Tomita wrote:
> At 15:30 00/10/25 +0100, you wrote:
> >While I'm doing FAQish things, does anyone have any experience of cable
> >modem companies, specifically Tokyu Cable?
>
> Tokyu Cable http://www.catv.ne.jp
>
> They use some sort of IP masquerading so that hosts inside their
> net can not be seeing from outside. UDP packets are blocked at
> the gateway. IP addresses assigned by DHCP are in the private
> address space. Their own Internet connection is provided by IIJ
> through a 100Mbps link. Internally, they have a 622Mbps ATM
> backbone connecting their 6 re-broadcasting stations. Bandwidth
> from these stations to the cable modem is said to be 14.3Mbps
> (the cable modem rental fee is included in the service, 5200 yen
> per month, or 7000 yen/month for the Internet+CATV service --
> CATV alone is 3800 yen/month). The cable modem brand is "Terayon"
> http://www.terayon.com/products/cablemodem/modem.shtml
> A hub can be connected to it, allowing more than one computer
> to be on the net (they all get their IP addresses by DHCP).

I heard that if you use cable internet, you share part of a subnet
with other hosts in the same area and that it was possible for the
other hosts to sniff packets etc. Is this true? I'm wondering if
Tokyu Cable offers some way of downloading your mail securely with
out others sniffing the pop user/pass. I guess you also need to
firewall your machine from those local users too.

Thanks,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom@example.com                  http://www.nooper.com