Re: Metallic DSL in Tokyo

Tod McQuillin (devin@example.com) wrote:

> per month -- suits my needs but it's dynamic IP.  A lot of DSL providers

Is it also NATted?  That's typically the case, with only your DSL
router having a global IP, so you'll have to do some tricks on it
(if it lets you) to make NATted machines on the inside be reachable
from the outside.

It's also worth finding out (if they'll tell you) how often they
expire the DHCP leases.  This determines how often your IP will
change.  Also, check their policy to make sure they allow
operating a server.  And if they don't, they may back that up with
an access list filtering all inbound traffic for ports <1024 on
the IP pool for their consumer DSL.  With an access list, even
if people manage to make their DSL routers pass inbound traffic to
a server on the inside, it won't matter; no inbound traffic will reach
that DSL router to be passed.  It will all be dropped.

> Also, anyone know how easy it is to use it with unix?  Will I have to
> pretend I'm using Windows to get them to install it?  :-)

It shouldn't matter.  It's all connected together by Ethernet.

Jonathan