German umlauts in japanese RedHat 6.2 don't work

    Gerhard> Can anybody give me any hints how to configure a japanese
    Gerhard> version of linux (in my case RedHat 6.2J) to support

Ditch the Japanese version.  There is nothing you need in the Japanese
version, and most likely a lot of braindeadness intended to make it
easy to cope with Japanese unwillingness to comply with (their own)
standards.  It will cause you some annoyance in dealing with Japanese
correspondents, but the solutions to that are generally simple (you
just translate the messages from Shit-JIS to ISO-2022-JP).  Dealing
with a misdesigned and intentionally misconfigured system requires
true wizardry.

Red Hat is most likely to be nearly correct, since both Drepper and
Havill (card-carrying standards bigots both) work for them.  Still I
would avoid Japanese versions for multilingual work.  Japan-localized
systems are intended to make Japanese use transparent.  This is
unfortunately incompatible with multilingual processing.  It is much
better to get Japanese working on a vanilla system.

If the Japanese version comes with freebies like dictionaries and so
on, then go ahead, install it, and start ruthlessly ripping out
anything with a "ja" or "jp" in the version string, and replace it
with non-Japanese versions.

If you think you need a Japanized version of an application[1], ask, you
probably don't, but there are exceptions.

With *terms, you _will_ have a problem.  rxvt may work the same as
kterm, but kterm is the only reliable solution I've found (rxvt I've
never managed to configure correctly, and it doesn't seem worth the
effort to me, so YMMV and with luck an rxvt advocate will tell you
how to do it).  The problem is that you _must_ work in ISO-2022-JP for
Japanese; it is _not_ possible for EUC-JP or Shit-JIS to coexist in
the same document with ISO-8859-*, because both the Japanese and the
ISO-8859 coding systems assert exclusive claim to the 8-bit
characters.  The safest solution is to use 7-bit ISO-2022-JP.  This by
definition (sort of; I'm cheating here but it works) gives 8-bit
characters over to the Latin-1 character set, and forces ISO 2022
escape sequences for both Japanese and ASCII.  (For the character sets
that kterm supports, which is a subset of the Mule character sets,
etc/HELLO can be made to display properly on a kterm using this
technique; that's about a dozen different character sets.)

It may be possible to use the Unicode xterm, but you will have to cope
with ugly fonts for sure, and I'm not use that Unicode xterms actually
deal with double-width fonts properly yet.  And you have all the
problems that come with lack of Unicode support in most applications.

    Gerhard> german special characters (umlauts) AND japanese input
    Gerhard> (kinput2). I can only get one of them working, depending
    Gerhard> on the LANG variable.

    Gerhard> I don't know whether it is a general problem

This is POSIX-standard braindeadness, not a Japanese-only problem.
It's a general problem.  The currently more or less widely implemented
standards (POSIX)  are not intended for multilingual use.  Unicode
only gets halfway there as normally implemented, and it doesn't deal
at all with the problems introduced by POSIX conformance.

Set LANG=POSIX, and use `LANG=de_DE command ...' to invoke commands
where you only need one of the languages.  Where you need both in the
same document ...

... probably the only reasonable answer is Emacs/Mule.  I recommend
XEmacs 21.1, of course, but mainline GNU Emacs 20.4 and up are all
good solutions as well.

This may also be a workaround for the *term problem; when I must deal
with multilingual texts in a command-line context, I use shell-mode.
This gives access to all the charset-transformation functions of Emacs
LISP.  It would probably be possible to cook up a mode to do those
things with keystroke bindings, but I just access the LISP interpreter
on the fly since I do it rarely.  That is probably not a solution for
you, but if Emacs sounds like a reasonable solution to you I'd be
happy to help with Emacs configuration to make this reasonably
painless, at least for Japanese + German.

In order to get a bilingual (neither of them English) system working,
you either have to cope with ISO 2022 in all its complexity, or use
Unicode.  Neither is an optimal solution as yet (and ISO 2022 is on
its way out), since almost nothing supports them properly.  However,
it should be reasonably easy to do TeX (with CJK) and email.[2]  Lyx is
out, as are almost all WYSIWYG apps.  Yudit is a possibility if you can
find a TeX supporting Unicode (Omega?).

Footnotes:
[1]  I admit it, I still use pTeX.  It's very high on my list of
priorities to replace.

[2]  I've only done any of this kind of thing as proof-of-concept;
I've never needed it in a production context.  So there are probably a
lot of traps I haven't encountered yet.