Re: ethner card problem

    FB> Get source for the PCMCIA package and recompile.  Easy to do.
    FB> Eliminates all of these mismatch worries.

In /etc/apt/sources.list, _copy_ the whole main distro line to a new
line and change "deb" to "deb-src".

I haven't figured out how to get sources via dselect, but you can use

apt-get update           # get the Package.list for source
apt-get source $package

from the command line.

First, do apt-get install kernel-package.  _Read the docs_; it will
make life a lot easier if you put the kernel sources and the pcmcia-cs
sources in the right places relative to one another.

Next, get the kernel and the pcmcia-cs sources.  Do

make-kpkg --revision uli+0 menuconfig  # configure your own kernel version
make-kpkg build
su
make-kpkg kernel_image
make-kpkg modules_image  # NOT the same as kernel modules, which are
                         # made in the previous step; this is the step
                         # where the PCMCIA stuff gets made
			 # #### There used to be a gotcha here; PCMCIA
                         # likes to read the running kernel's symbols,
                         # but of course you must use the source tree's
                         # info -- recent kernel-package does this OK.
                         # ... I think ...  ;-)
dpkg -i ../*.deb
make-kpkg clean          # otherwise you can't step the local revision #
exit

and reboot.

    FB> Uli writes:

    >> So I guess I have to upgrade the kernel, haven't done that in a
    >> long time, is there some really easy way instead of
    >> recompiling, some debian package I can simply install?

Yes, but ...

    FB> You're better off with a locally compiled kernel.  Always.

Frank's right.  The kernel will be smaller, you can not build modules
you'll never use in the life of the kernel, you can tune which things
are loadable and which come build in.  And if you do things as above,
your PCMCIA modules will always be matched to your kernel.