Re: ethner card problem

> What do you get for "cardctl ident"?

debian:/home/uli# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  product info: "Megahertz", "XJ4336-CC4336", "V.34+ Data/Fax/Cell/Vox"
  manfid: 0x0102, 0x0027
  function: 2 (serial)

> Is the version or manufacturer id
> in the config file?

card "Corega PCC-T Ethernet"
  version "corega K.K.", "corega Ether PCC-T"
  bind "pcnet_cs"

card "Corega PCC-T Ethernet"
  version "corega,K.K.", "Ethernet LAN Card"
  bind "pcnet_cs"

card "Corega PCM-T Ethernet"
  version "Corega,K.K.", "Ethernet LAN Card"
  bind "pcnet_cs"

> Try loading pcnet_cs by hand and look what kind of
> error messages you get.

Here is the problem, it seems, it cannot find the module. I had forgotten to
install the modules, installed them now, still no luck:

insmod: pcnet_cs: no module by that name found

But I just saw they don't fit to the kernel version: the modules are for kernel
2.2.17 and I have 2.0.

So I guess I have to upgrade the kernel, haven't done that in a long time, is
there some really easy way instead of recompiling, some debian package I can
simply install?

On the other machine the modules are installed, but maybe the versions also
don't fit, I get:

MTP:~# insmod pcnet_cs Using /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o
/lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
/lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
/lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
/lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init

But the strange thing is that dpkg does not list pcmcia-modules as being
installed ...??? Only pcmcia-cs ... Well, and on the other machine I don't get
any message about unresovled symbols, but I just installed the modules. Now I am
confused ...

Uli